The Center of Waste Management – Abu Dhabi
The Emirate of Abu Dhabi will be recognised as a world leader in sustainable and integrated solid waste management. The Government of Abu Dhabi has set out its commitment to improving waste management across the Emirate by establishing Tadweer (The Center of Waste Management - Abu Dhabi).
Established in December 2008, the Center is the lead agency responsible for controlling and coordinating waste management activities throughout the Emirate. This includes implementing the Waste Management Strategy and all aspects of service delivery required to establish a full cycle integrated waste management system.
The Center has been established to coordinate the policy, strategy and contractual systems of waste management across the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
Existing agencies will continue in their roles of service monitoring, enforcement or delivery with the Center providing policy direction, systems analysis, and service /contractual requirements.
The key objectives are:
- To be the competent waste authority for the Emirate of Abu Dhabi
- To establish control of all management of waste to avoid or minimise pollution and health risks
- To raise waste awareness and remove barriers to waste minimisation, re-use and recycling by efficient communication and stakeholder engagements
- To develop and implement an integrated waste system, designed, constructed and operated to the highest international standards
- To provide “state of the art" facilities to promote resource conservation, enhance carbon footprint reduction, and maximise net positive social and environmental benefits
- To minimise the final disposal of waste to landfill by using the waste hierarchy and innovative practices and technologies
- To be the focal point for coordinating all waste management within the Emirate
- To work with Government and partners to establish sustainable procurement programmes throughout the Emirate
- To act as the acknowledged learned resource centre of excellence for the Emirate, the wider Gulf and the entire Middle East – North Africa (MENA) region
- To work with business to establish producer responsibility systems for control and minimisation of packaging wastes.
- To establish an electronic market for all types of recoverable wastes to facilitate trade and re-use
- To establish an electronic database of all waste-related information for the Emirate to enable monitoring and planning
- To work with the automobile sector to establish a world class recovery systems for scrap cars
- To work with construction and industry sectors to establish specifications for reuse of secondary materials arising from waste treatment processes