Youth are the main change agents in any society. They are a great asset to a Nation. In the United Arab Emirates, youth placed at the higher portals of learning are strategically positioned to promote innovation and research especially with the country’s commitment towards promoting green growth and Sustainable Development.
The Sustainable Campus Initiative launched by the Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi , aims to strengthen and build leadership capacity amoung youth, to address issues of environmental sustainability and be the main change agents in the country in working towards and shaping sustainable communities
Who can participate? :
- Youth between ages 18-25 years
- Universities/ campuses or registered youth associations from UAE can register
This is an annual initiative. EAD will strive to mobilize, support, connect, engage and promote youth creativity and innovation in the field of sustainability through the following sets of activities
- Capacity build and support youth in the campuses to assess and continually address their environmental impact in their facility through auditing and managing.
- Assist and support youth in identifying and addressing an issue of sustainability in the community by undertaking a Sustainability Action project ( SAP)
- Provide a platform for youth to network within the country through a monthly Green Youth Majlis
- Facilitate connection and collaboration with global and regional youth sustainability networks through videoconferencing , and sharing and learning best practices by participating in youth events and conferences
- Organise a networking conferences once a year for youth mentors.
EAD support for registered college in their sustainability journey
- Provide manuals and conduct a yearly workshop for registered colleges to assess and audit the environmental impact.
- Provide manual and conduct workshops for youth to support them to reach out to the community and undertake Sustainability Action projects ( SAP)
Reports from the registered campuses would be evaluated by a team of experts. EAD would organize an yearly Sustainable Campus Excellence Awards ceremony to recognize good practices