NYU Abu Dhabi
By recognizing our special responsibility of being in Abu Dhabi, Ecoherence transforms the wider NYUAD community into agents for sustainability and environmental social justice.
As NYU Abu Dhabi’s environmental advocacy student group, Ecoherence is dedicated to foster a environmental-friendly lifestyle that is based on a collective understanding of the interdependence of humanity and nature. Ecoherence is committed to raise awareness about today’s environmental crisis by approaching questions of sustainability from a variety of perspectives. Thus, we are hosting events and organize projects in the areas of public policy, international diplomacy, economics, arts and the sciences to cater to a wide range of audiences and engage with many different aspects of these issues. By doing so, Ecoherence hopes to cultivate an atmosphere of taking action and working towards a more sustainable future.
Ecoherence organizes and facilitates actions through three working groups: 1) Community Outreach, 2) Local Action and 3) the Think Tank. In the last year we have conducted the following projects and events:
- Arts installation - We refashioned used plastic water bottles to create a 1-story high waterfall that served as a thought-provoking symbol of the over-consumption of resources in our society.
- Climate Science Workshop - We invited Olivier Pauluis, Professor in Atmosphere Ocean Science at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Science, NYU to share with students the science behind anthropogenic climate change as discussed in the latest IPCC report.
- Earth Hour - We held an on-campus games night and also attended a community-wide event to celebrate the importance of environmental conservation.
- Climate Change Youth Conference, BIIAH 2014 - We hosted a one day environmental conference which brought together students, community members and experts in the region to start a grassroots environmental movement. In addition to keynote speeches by Robert Bradley - Senior Advisor to the Directorate of Energy and Climate Change, UAE - and H.H Sheikh Abdul Aziz bin Ali Al Nuaimi (Known as “The Green Sheikh”), the conference featured panel discussions, workshops as well as interactive learning and networking opportunities.
- Movie Screening - We shared and discussed the movie, “Disruption,” which is based on Ban Ki Moon’s Climate Change Summit with our student body to highlight the value of grassroots movements in the fight against Climate Change.
- People’s Climate March - This event was held in collaboration with World Peace Day and involved poetry, screening of videos related to the environment and songs to show our support for the People’s Climate March taking place across the globe.
- UN Climate Night - We invited Professor Shakeel Kazmi, Adjunct Professor of Legal Studies and Senior Advisor to the Ministry of Climate Change in Pakistan, to discuss the opportunities and challenges we face in global climate change negotiations at the UN.
Looking forward, Ecoherence is working on several exciting projects including a preparation task force to send a Youth Delegation to the UN Conference of the Parties in Paris 2015, a phase-by-phase audit of our new campus to assess our impact on our immediate environment, the responsible disposal of food and other waste on campus, the development of an environmental leadership program with primary schools in the UAE and a whole lot more.